Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fettling Is So So Addictive

Part of owning a bike is changing a boring peice of transport into a peice of individual art. With this in mind and some serious practical points I started a metamorphosis that became addictive.

One thing that I never liked was the position of the handle bars. They just weren't right. A set of bars from the up-dated and uber-sexy Rally Raid model made a world of difference. They have better pull back, are positioned higher and are a bit wider giving more leverage.

A power socket was sourced from the local auto shop that be useful, but sooner than I thought. Aldi sold a lovely GPS unit that I kept on missing out on. Good Ol' Ebay again and I got one that had never been used and for a 1/3 of the original price. Now I can get lost - in style!!


I'd racked up (you will hate the pun later) some serious Kms on the KTM, and never had a good set of boxes for storing stuff. A set of Hepco and Becker racks off (you guessed it) Ebay and I was on the way. The boxes however were another story. For some stupid reason, storage boxes ( or panniers, if you like) are a crazy price and there was no way I was going to spend my fortnightly salary on a set. Time to make my own.

A local tool box manufacturer got the process started and to date I still haven't finished them off. I got sidetracked by a company in China who sells panniers and thought about a sideline in this rather lucrative business. I contacted a guy in China from a company called Edsee Industrial, but have still yet to see them. I actually think he has either gambled the cash sent or is taking a holiday somewhere. I doubt if I will every see the panniers on my door step.

(If you are reading this Cary, the local police will be looking for you soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a message, please feel free.