Thursday, September 22, 2011

You Gotta Ask Yourself....

It's time to go back in time for a moment and explain a few things. Why an Adventure bike? Why not a sports bike?

For most of my adult life, I have ridden Ducatis. Talk about a Love/Hate relationship. When they are on the boil, there is no other bike that gives quite the same joy. BUT, when you need that particular little part that costs enough to fund a Central American country, that's where the hate comes in. Still, sports bikes and particularly Ducatis have always been my passion. So why the change?

Ok, blame those two English guys, Charlie and Ewan. Blame my insane passion for the Paris Dakar. That however is only one side of the story. The other side is a parachuting accident that I had some years ago. My back was not coping with sports bikes any longer. But riding is in the blood, there must be an alternative? There is, An adventure bike. They are more upright for a start. The power tends to be less raw edged and the springs just a tad (read a lot) softer.

The idea of jumping on a bike, doing 400 to 500 kms a day, going places cars can't, seeing the world from a different perspective, this is what I call appealing. I had done this on a Ducati a few times, but on dirt roads a Duc is more than a handful. I need a purpose built bike for the job.

In addition, my first bikes before I could legally ride on the road were all dirt bikes, so there was some experiance with a "softer" style of bike.

My first ride of a big powerful adventure bike was a KTM 640. For anything on the dirt, this bike is a beast. On the road, hmmmm, too lumpy. Then the 640's big brother came along, the 950 Adventure. Love at first sight.

So there you have it, the reason why.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting read, thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts "out there"

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to leave a message, please feel free.